Thursday, June 05, 2008

How to kill a chicken

My beloved Slate has posted an article from a part-time chicken farmer on the ins and outs of killing a chicken. Personally, I know I could do it but I don't want to do it. Mr. Wonderful has been throwing the idea around of having chickens. Especially if I don't return to work. I think it's a good idea if we have them for eggs but I don't know about the meat part...I can't see us with five chickens one day and the next, there's only four. I can just picture it:

Jackson: "Mommy, where did Pete go?"

Me: "Who's Pete?"

Jackson: "He's the brown chicken."

Me: "They're all brown."

Jackson: "Yeah, but he has the little *some characteristic that only a child can pick out*. Where did he go?"

Me: "Uhh....maybe now is the time to talk about the purpose of chickens and how some chickens go to Chicken Heaven. By the way: did you name all of them??"

Yeah, not a pleasant conversation. Although: look how great my son* is!!

*My son is currently six months in utero. But I bet when he's born, he's going to be just as inquisitive, smart, and meticulous. :)

1 comment:

tiny robot said...

I think having your own chickens would be great; however, rule number one of raising animals for meat --- never name them. Makes it impossible to eat them, much less slaughter them.