Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Eating Locally in Del Valle

Last night, Mr. Wonderful (aka my husband) and I ate at The Bull and Boar. Oh My GOD! Wonderful! I'm still tasting it, in a good way. We went all out and got dessert AND a beer apiece. I had the Skinny Dip...it was o.k. Mr. Wonderful had a Shiner 98 which he really liked. I thought it was o.k. I'm not a huge beer drinker and mostly stay on the wheat/pale ale side of things. Anyway, on to the food!!


I had the Pan-fried Rainbow Trout. It was served with a corn and onion relish with lime. I'm still salivating. It was served opened (like the split it down the back) with tail intact. :) My sides included macaroni and cheese and sauteed squash. The squash was exceptionally good. I have found a new veggie: squash!

Mr. Wonderful had the Country Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and a small Caesar. He said it was good. We split a creammmmmmy cream cheese icing carrot cake for dessert. It was served with a strawberry and the coolest orange syrup glazed thing on top. Yum! We also had sourdough bread that was baked fresh that day!

The Bull and Boar supports local farmers and makes many of their own dishes on site including frying their own chips, smoking their own salmon, and other things. They are owned by two brothers (we talked to one of them) who are also the chefs and their mother waited on us. They have been open for four months. A brunch occurs on Sunday: all you care to eat for $15. I remember Belgian waffles, made to order omelets, and a whole host of other things were on the menu, definitely enough to get your money's worth.

The atmosphere was pleasant. It looked like an old diner inside. Everyone was very nice and we were the only people in there. We got out of there paying about $33. Overall, great experience!!

What do you say Suppersisters??? Care to brunch this Sunday?

**I forgot to add that the portion sizes were adequate (as in: I was served on a plate, not a platter so I could not overeat!) and the availability of food is seasonal so the menu is always changing. If you go to their website, you will notice the carrot cake and the Rainbow trout are not displayed. Even more reason to go!**

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Hmmmm...i must say i am intrigued! Let me talk to the Lil' Lady.

And sauteed squash is definitely a personal favorite. Mmm, I can taste the buttery goodness now! It's especially good with chicken and potatoes.

triciathered said...

Pan-fried trout sounds yummy!