Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Adventures in Canning, Part Trois


I aided in the process of canning tomato sauce this weekend!! My best friend, Tricia, made several jars of tomato sauce that we were going to use on homemade pizzas but it was a little runny so we opted for some readymade Bertoli sauce. However, several jars await the winter. Tricia forgot to add lemon juice (for proper acidity) so she had to reseal the jars but all was not lost.
Canning tomatoes was a lot more extensive than canning jam. The tomato sauce needed to be on the stove for a few hours, there were more steps because there were tons more ingredients, but everything worked out. Huzzah!!

This past weekend was spent in Oklahoma with said friend. She is very adept at cooking wonderful foods so I will post pictures from her Flickr account of some of the foods we partook (is that a word?) of:


We grilled the buttered bread and it was wonderful!! Tricia's husband Matt grilled yummy yummy steaks and the bread was exceptionally wonderful grilled. It was from a local bakery!

These little jalapeno peppers had real big bite! They were stuffed (by me!) with a cream cheese and bacon mixture. We also stuffed some other kinds of peppers that were very light in spice which added a nice flavor without killing us. Matt ate a whole jalapeno and then promptly drank lots and lots of milk for the rest of the night. :)

I have to tell you: I LOVE THIS DRINK! It's called a caipirinha and it is made of Brazilian rum (called cachaca or Cachaca Khan as I like to call it), half a lime (sliced into quarters and crushed to get the juice out, a tablespoon of sugar, crushed ice, and add the rum! I always add water because I can't take the rum straight. I LOVE IT! It's like alcoholic limeade. I'm a huge limeade fan but this drink is to die for. Some info about the drink is available here.

We also had homemade pizzas with eggplant and caramalized onions on one and sausage on the other. Oh! and mousse:















I never have to worry about eating well at Tricia's house. It's always tasty and made with love. So cheers to you!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow --- i'm so jealous! Everything sounds tasty and wonderful.

Booklahver said...

We couldn't have done it without your babysitting the kittens!! Thank you so much! What do you say to a round of caipirinhas on me??

Theresa said...

Sounds fab!

triciathered said...

The image of us sitting around our patio table enjoying a wonderful meal that we prepared together is going to stay with me for a while.

Good times!